Monday 16 July 2012

Chronicling the adoption process


I came to a decision yesterday. I decided that I was going to adopt a cat, well kitten to be precise. The decision came after a lot of hm-ing and ha-ing over it since moving in, the purchase of two guinea pigs and the realization that while I would love to have a dog, a cat is better suited to my lifestyle at the moment.

Adoption was the only way to go for this, even though people are giving away free cats all the time, I opted out of the TSPCA and decided instead on Toronto Cat Rescue. A 100% Kill-free shelter that takes in cats from kill-shelters that is 100% volunteer run. It’s not because I don’t support the TSPCA, it’s more that I like the TCR’s adoption process a lot better.

So to begin, you go through their available cats and pick the cat you feel that you like the best. For me it’s come down to two little boys. Addy and BJ (who will undergo a name change if he’s the lucky boy). Addy is a little cuddler who just looks adorable and apparently cats just as sweet and BJ has a very interesting back story. He was found abandoned at around 4 weeks old and picked up by a trucker who brought him to TO. I love the process they have where they try to foster out all of their animals thus giving you a real person who gets to know these kitties!

Addy picture above, BJ below.

Before it gets brought up, I realize that kittens always get adopted first, so why would I choose to get such a young cat? I have two guinea pigs and ideally I would like the opportunity for this cat to grow up with the girls so that when they eventually interact it doesn’t involve me breaking up a fight between a full grown cat and a young guinea pig.

Anyway, I figured I would blog about the process, the highs and lows and eventual adoption of this new family member. I know that I’m going through the screening process by phone tonight in order to see if  I “pass inspection”, after that it’s visitation and if it looks good then adoption from there!



Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment