Monday 20 August 2012

16 year old girl dies after she's refused cancer treatment as it may have ended her pregnancy, which is illegal.


This story disgusts me. Disgusts me in so many ways, I couldn’t believe it as I was reading it. Please note that this story does deal with abortion and contain my views on abortion. These are not views that everyone will agree with and support and that is fine. Because this is such a sensitive issue, please refrain from commenting bashing people’s choices; if you do, your comments will be removed. If you want to express your opinion please do it in a respectful way.

The story is, a 16 year old girl died as a result of complications of cancer because she was pregnant. She was denied chemotherapy because it could terminate her pregnancy which is illegal in the Dominican Republic, where she lives. So after 20 or so days after she was admitted she was finally allowed treatment, the girl was 13 weeks pregnant and died after having a miscarriage and going into cardiac arrest.

First off, I cannot believe that there is a law that allows medical doctors to refuse treatment as it may lead to a miscarriage, in the case of a minor, the parent is allowed to make decisions in regards to their child’s health. Second, I cannot believe that in this case the life of the child supersedes the life of the parent. It’s common practice that if the mother’s life is imminent danger, the life of the child will be helped to the full extent but they put mom first. In this case, two lives were lost because they refused to risk the life of the baby and thus refused to treat the mother.

Speaking from the Canadian perspective here, I am glad that Canada has a law protecting a woman’s right to choose. I’m so glad that if that little girl had lived in Canada and this happened to her, she would have been put first. I realize that losing a child is something that affects a person deeply, decided on or not, however you cannot force a 16 year old girl to die because it may abort this child.

I am pro-choice. I realize that’s my right to decide and I realize that it’s others decisions to be pro-life. I respect every person’s individual choice, when it comes down to it I would just like that same respect if I was ever in that position. I realize that some countries do not allow for abortions and as much as I don’t support that option I can respect their choice to instill that. To a point, not to the point where they are denying medical care to a mother who is in dire need of it because it may abort the child.

To me, the worst part about this is that not only was the baby lost, but immediately after this 16 year old girl died, and her mother is left alone. A parent only wants to protect their child and when your country does not allow you to make the choices to save your child and not only do they die but your grandchild dies? I cannot even imagine what her mother is thinking.

                I think it’s absolutely disgusting that a mother’s life is viewed as that inferior to her child that at 13 weeks, that child dictates whether or not the mother will receive treatment to save her life. This story absolutely broke my heart and there is absolutely no reason, in this day and age, that this needs to happen.



Story details taken from CNN story by Rafael Romo:

No comments:

Post a Comment