Monday 21 July 2014

The problem with rescuing dogs...

Is people.

I know I almost (if not did) ignite a giant hate fire with that title but I promise I'll make up for it. 

I've noticed (and this is just based on my current city although it may be the same other places) a huge increase in dogs looking to be rehomed. At first glance this seems like a great thing, someone proactively triyng to find a better situation for their dog. I'm finding this is so not the case where I live, both for rescued dogs and dogs just needing to be rehomed. 

I understand that dogs need to be rehomed sometimes. Circumstances change, things come up and it takes a big person to realize, "Hey, I can't provide what this dog needs right now and I'm not contributing to making their life better." Queue the posting:

"[Breed] dog looking for a new home through no fault of their own. I don't have the time to give to them any more. Asking $400.00". 

It's the asking price that I have trouble with, a lot of trouble with. Don't get me wrong, a rehoming fee is totally expected and completely reasonable. I expect people to charge a rehoming fee. What I don't expect is people to demand and refuse to even consider a potentially great home for their dog because "I don't want to lose money on this dog."

I feel like these people seriously have been beaten with a giant dumbass stick. I don't understand how any human being can admit they cannot provide what their dog needs and refuse to rehome that dog because someone won't pay them enough. You know what that is? 

Selfish.

If you refuse to rehome your animal whose needs you are not meeting based solely on the fact you aren't making money off of them you are selfish. The moment that getting money becomes a large factor in rehoming a dog it's the dog that loses out. Your dog is not a tool to make money off of, that's the sad fact about dogs - unless you're showing them or breeding them they aren't going to increase in value over time, in fact they are going to cost you money.

Dogs are going to cost you money. 

Potentially a lot of money if you happen to have a rather accident prone one or a have a breed that is more prone to certain medical issues. That's something you have to consider before you decide to get a dog, that's something you have to plan for before you get a dog. It's completely unreasonable to demand hundreds of dollars for your intact dog that has never been to a vet.

Please, please please do the responsible thing - if your circumstances change and you can no longer keep your dog, focus on a good home. Ask for vet references, do a home visit, ask for references, ask about the potential homes jobs and work. Don't focus on trying to make a quick buck because it's not you who suffers the consequences.

No comments:

Post a Comment