Monday 10 September 2012

Dad wants option of pulling kids out of class based on lesson topics - Headline

This story literally just popped up and it really makes me upset to read. I realize that that's my opinion and where I do respect the fact that he the right to his own opinion, I truly believe this is where ignorance is born.

This Ontario dad wants to recieve advanced notice on all lesson plans in order to be able to pick and choose what his children will be taught. The topics of marriage, family and sexuality are what he wants notice on as he doesn't want his kids to be taught things that contradict his religious beliefs. Now I'm all for freedom of religion and freedom to practice any religion you choose, but not allowing your children to be exposed or to hear or learn about anything that opposes your belief is where ignorance stems from. Ignorance isn't just created one day, it's taught.

The father stated that because he pays his taxes and Canada is a free country that this should be allowed. What's more disturbing was his quote, "My children are my own. I own them. They don't belong to the school board." Ack. You don't own your children, they're not objects; it's alright to pass your beliefs down to them, but don't make them suffer for it.

No they don't belong to the schoolboard but teaching them strictly Christian values and never letting them hear about anything else isn't going to help them be better Christians. The father is saying that if he's denied that the school board is discriminating against his religion.

His kids are both in public school and when asked if he would move his kids over to seperate school he stated, "Why should I send my kids to another school? I pay my taxes...I don't see why somebody else's discrimination should cause me, should influence where I send my children. Not in a free country."

This is where I'll come across a little snippy. Yes, you do pay taxed, as does every parent in that school - what he fails to realize is that micromanaging his children's education for the sake of religion is given his kids special treatment. Not because they're Christians, but that teacher is going to have to curb the lesson plan for those two kids, taking time and energy that could have gone to teaching the rest of the class. I do not agree with declaring discrimination when you're the one making the choice to keep your kids in public school and demanding an education that's different from everyone else. The general public is not Christian, the general public is non-denominatonal as I believe public school should be. I believe that education should exist outside the scope of religion. I reliaze that's unpopular opinion, but it's true. You should learn everything the same as the other person, so if those kids do truly adopt the Christian belief system, they know where non-Christians are coming from. Plugging your ears and saying "lalalalalalalala" when someone says something you don't agree with is ridiculous and to demand the education system allow you to do that, even more so.

By all means please, be proud of your religion - but don't make everyone have to work a little harder because you don't want your children to know about anything outside what you agree on.

Story from the CP24 Article http://www.cp24.com/dad-wants-option-of-pulling-kids-out-of-class-based-on-lesson-topics-1.950047#ixzz265xFk4a9 

No comments:

Post a Comment